A big percentage of Dr. Hadley’s clients come to us to correct small imperfections in their front teeth with cosmetic porcelain dental veneers. Dental veneers are custom-designed porcelain shells designed to fit over the teeth. While most of the time these dental procedures are cosmetic, they may be prescribed as part of a makeover tied to correcting gum disease or other issues.
This article looks at Las Vegas cosmetic dentistry and the process of porcelain dental veneers. Why would a patient consider this “optional” dental procedure? What should you expect during this type of dental procedure?
Why Las Vegas Dentists Offer Dental Veneers
Dental veneers are fairly non-invasive alternatives to braces. Since many adults simply don’t have time or patience, dental veneers offer a way to improve slight smile imperfections. While veneers may not work as well for very crooked teeth, they do offer options for people that are struggling with:
- Gaps between their teeth.
- Overlapping or slightly crooked teeth.
- Yellowed or discolored teeth.
- Chipped teeth.
The key to porcelain dental veneers is that they are handcrafted to fit your look. What we don’t want is a kind of a “Chiclet” smile that looks artificial. We want people to notice that your new smile looks and feels real. So, we try to match the whiteness of the teeth to your skin tone, as well as taking into account other cosmetic considerations in order to make your new smile very candid and very real.
What to Expect – Porcelain Dental Veneers
There is generally a four-step process for fitting porcelain dental veneers:
- A pre-fitting appointment that includes x-rays and an exam will be conducted. During this visit, we will discuss your goals for the veneer and Dr. Hadley will begin to map out a plan for your smile makeover.
- In preparation for the fitting, Dr. Hadley will trim about half a millimeter of the enamel of the tooth (or teeth) to make them ready for the fitting. We will take an impression of your teeth or tooth at that time and send it to a lab. The lab will custom-make your veneer(s). The process will take about two weeks to complete.
- When the veneers come back from the lab, we will check the color and fit of the veneers. The tooth or teeth will be cleaned thoroughly to prepare them to hold the adhesion material and the veneer. Then the appliance will be attached to the underlying tooth structure with a bonding material. We use ultraviolet light to harden the adhesive.
- The final step is one last checkup, usually a few weeks after the veneer placement, to make sure the veneers are working well.
One Smile Does Not Fit All
Cosmetic dentistry is a personalized process. If you’re considering improvements to your appearance, your smile is one of the first things people notice. Porcelain dental veneers offer our patients a way to quickly improve their smile. But each situation is as different as how you look – and how you want to look. Contact us to create a customized smile makeover with Dr. Hadley and his team.