TMD, or Temporomandibular Disorder, is a condition that can have an effect on TM joints, jaw muscles and facial nerves. More than 15 percent of American adults suffer from this kind of pain. People who suffer from TMD or TMJ may experience the following:
- Pain in or around the ear
- Headaches and neck aches
- Tenderness of the jaw or jaw muscles
- Jaw pain or soreness that is more prevalent in the morning or late afternoon
- Jaw pain when chewing, biting or yawning
- Difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Clicking or popping noises when opening the mouth
- Sensitive teeth when no other dental problems can be found
Women are more likely to have TMD than men. More than twice as many women suffer from TMD then men. Some things that cause TMD are arthritis, an improper bite, jaw dislocation, an injury or stress.
There are many things that can be done in order to treat TMD. Some of these include:
- Bite-realignment splints
- Night/Day guards
- Restorative dentistry
- Oral surgery
When it comes to your mouth, you do not want to be in pain. If you believe that you may have TMD, then it is important that you get treatment as soon as possible. Contact Dr. Jeff Hadley—your Las Vegas Dentist—today so you can get treatment as soon as possible.